Tuesday 25 June 2013

Laura Noble from the London Fire Brigade


My name is Laura Noble, I am 33 and I have been a fire fighter with London Fire Brigade for over ten years. This will be my second trip to Northern Ireland and my parents are coming out to support me in my events which are Bench Press and Ultimate Fire Fighter. These events are new to me, as in previous World Games, I have competed in Karate and Indoor Rowing, but this time I fancied a change! I have been training since January and getting lots of help and advice from my colleagues.

Meeting new people and forging new relationships with like-minded people is one of the things I am most looking forward to about these Games. I am the co-ordinator for the London Fire Brigade entrants, working alongside our Welfare Fund to help and support them. I was lucky enough to visit Belfast in April and see first-hand the venues and accommodation on offer and of course, experience the great hospitality!

The camaraderie and atmosphere at the World Police and Fire Games help to make them unique from other sporting events. My stand out memories from my first WPFG in New York 2011, is the generosity and friendliness of the people. Even during Hurricane Irene, they went out of their way to ensure my safety and well-being. I was staying with a FDNY Despatcher for the first few days and she arranged for transport and a stay in a hotel during the hurricane even though her own home was damaged through the storm.

I am really looking forward to the Belfast Games. I have already booked to see an Irish dance/music show and hope to visit The Giant’s Causeway as well as several drinking establishments within the city, see you there!

2 comments:

  1. I'm coming from London to Volunteer in Field of Play for the Bench Press events - so I'll defo be cheering you on! Beverley de Valmency @Bev_deV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to welcoming you to Belfast, Beverley!

    ReplyDelete