Friday 10 May 2013

Egor's case of mistaken identity!

Andrey Naumov and Egor Iakovlev
Greetings from Russia! I’m Egor Iakovlev Chelyabinsk and I work for the Russian Federal Bailiffs Service. My sport is Karate and I hold a black belt in the sport.

I’ve competed in the Games before in 2011 in New York which was a great experience for me, despite having a bit of a tricky time with one of the officials there! I was preparing for my first event and one of the judges approached me to say that he knew exactly who I was. I was very surprised as I am really not a famous or well-known competitor anywhere! He wasn’t happy at all and took me aside to tell me I was not going to be allowed to compete because I had a reputation for being a very dangerous competitor!

I was so, so shocked and after a lot of discussion and debate it turned out that he had mistaken me for one of Fyodor Emelyanenko's ultimate fighters known as ‘Baby Fyodor’. I ended up having to get my official documents to prove who I really was and then he finally allowed me to carry on in the competition. It was a very worrying moment for me, but I earned the new title of ‘Baby Fyodor’ for the rest of the Games!

I am looking forward to competing in the Northern Ireland Games and then taking some time to have a lovely holiday with my wife after the competition.

I really hope to win some medals in Belfast and perhaps be known as ‘Champion Baby Fydor’ for this year’s Games!!!




We love Egor's story! If you would like to share your sporting experiences, interesting stories, or just tell us how your training is going, please contact Karen in the 2013 Communications Team. We look forward to hearing from you!

2 comments:

  1. Great story!!!! Good luck in Belfast!!!!)))) Leha Taganrog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meet in Belfast? Masha Chejyabinsk (Chelyabinsk sect (or group) "Witnesses of meteorite")

      Delete