Friday 17 May 2013

Meet Karen and her team from Australia!































I've been part of the South Australia Police for over 30 years and my job has taken me across the northern areas of Adelaide, including Holden HillPort AdelaideElizabeth and Gawler.

I wouldn't really describe myself as an athlete, I just like to get involved in a variety of sports that give the best social atmosphere (and that's exactly what I think the World Police and Fire Games are ALL about!!).

So, my latest social sport is darts and I have put together a team especially for the Belfast Games - the 'Darts Tarts'! This will be the first time I have competed in darts - in fact, this is a new sport to all of us, but we believe we will put up a good fight at the Games – and no doubt provide lots of laughs!
 
I am really excited about the opportunity for services personnel from all over the world to get together and share a ‘super friendly’ atmosphere through sport. The World Police and Fire Games is the event where this can happen. My first experience of this was in Adelaide in 2007 and that's when I decided to compete in future Games. My favourite part of every Games is the Opening Ceremony and being part of the parade with all the international competitors.

I have managed to rally together some non-police friends, Di and Gary from New South Wales and Jo from Canberra, along with Dianna, Lesely-Ann and Geraldine to follow us to Belfast as a cheer squad for all the competitors. Together, these six, now known as the 'Darts Tartlets', will cheer on any South Australian (or even Australian) in any event!

After the Games, I have a must-do tourist list which includes the Giant's Causeway and the Black Taxi tour in Belfast. My plan is then to visit the Jameson Distillery in Dublin before crossing the Irish Sea to England to do a bit of travelling with the Tartlets.
See you all in August - come and cheer Jan, Allan and me on at the Darts event! I'll see you for a pint of the black stuff afterwards!

Have you taken up a new sport? Do have a great team like Karen's? Send us an e-mail and we can share your story with other athletes on our Blog!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete