Thursday 8 August 2013

We’re Not Brazil or the All-Blacks, we’re Northern Ireland!




By Volunteer, Michelle Harris

Yesterday I was at the Dub, Belfast to watch rugby, Gaelic football and soccer. It was a big challenge considering the amount of matches played that day and the size of the venue. Of course, I got lost as soon as I arrived and ended up almost walking towards the Mary Peter's track! My Active Belfast pedometer certainly got used that day!

I said in my last blog that I would encourage everyone to go and watch a sport they wouldn't usually consider. This applied to me yesterday as I had never been to a Gaelic or rugby match outside of school competitions before. I found the scoring quite tricky to grasp but luckily people at the ground were willing to help out!

I was particularly excited for soccer, a game which I am much more familiar with. Every football fan at The Dub was there to see Brazil vs Spain. Every seat in the stand was filled to watch the game! I met a very excited Brazilian fan and ended up getting my picture taken with him. As you can see he made it quite evident who he was supporting!


People in the stand started singing We're Not Brazil, We're Northern Ireland much to the delight of the Brazilian fans who along side were singing and banging their drums to the beat! Despite it being a final there was a real party atmosphere!

Apparently there were rugby stars such as Andrew Trimble and Paul Marshall at the ground. It was nice to see them give their support to the event! I knew of some volunteers who were very excited about this! I unfortunately didn't get a chance to see them but I saw some photographic evidence that they were here! I noticed that on the rugby and Gaelic pitches there were a lot of families having picnics and holding their own mini games. Another great family day out!

I was talking to an official from the World Police and Fire Games who said that the volunteers really are making it the 'Friendliest Games Ever'! He said that competitors have been talking to him about how supportive the volunteers are. I was talking to an athlete from Canada who thanked us personally for our help!

Thursday will be my last blog as part of the World Police and Fire Games Media Team. I will be tweeting and blogging from Portrush where the beach volleyball and surf kayaking events will be held. It's hard to believe that the games are nearly over!

More information about the Games is available at www.2013wpfg.com

1 comment:

  1. In modernity, most RMA requests are completed through the Internet, so having the ability to process RMAs has become reviews a crucial aspect of the tech world. Upon receiving the initial request, the representative, aided by the help of reverse logistics technology.
    become reviews

    ReplyDelete