Friday 7 June 2013

Meet Andy from Scotland!

Hello, my name is Andy Cowie and I am an Assistant Chief Constable with Police Scotland, based in Inverness.

I’m really looking forward to the Games this year and in particular the Cycling Time Trial at Carrickfergus. It’s going to be a great opportunity to test my cycling speed and strength against colleagues from across the globe!

I took up cycling five years ago as part of the ‘Cycle to Work’ scheme and I decided to give up the gym to concentrate on my cycling. I tend to do 150 miles a week during the winter to build a solid base, mixing that up with interval training. Due to the winter weather in the Scottish Highlands (it can be below freezing for weeks at a time and it seems dark for about 6 months of the year!) a lot of my training time is spent in the garage on a turbo trainer. 

There is a strong club scene in the north of Scotland with a massive boost in numbers reflecting the national picture. I am a member of Moray Firth Cycling Club, which has around 80 members. I picked up a lot from the club riders who have many years' experience under their belt. The club has now got a strong road racing and time trialling element in it, as well as beginners.

I'm blessed with having a very supportive family that lets me put the hours in at work and cycling. I've been coached by Tony Hay, a very strong national level rider with coaching/sports science qualifications, for the last couple of years and that has meant not one pedal stroke in training has been wasted. Train smarter, not longer!

The timing of the WPFG in the season is pretty good, coming just about 6 weeks from the UK Emergency Services Cycling TT Championship, being held in Scotland later this month. I've medalled at this event in the 25 miles TT in 2010 and 2011. In 2012, to commemorate the end of the Northern Constabulary, my colleagues Sgt. Alan McCaffery, Sgt. Mel Fowler , Sgt. Andrew Shaw and I targeted the UK Emergency Services Championship. We took the 10 mile TT Police Sport UK Team trophy and were just pipped by Lothian and Borders Police for the 25 mile TT trophy! So Time Trialling is alive and well and, as part of the newly formed Police Scotland, we look to put in a good time at the WPFG TT at the iconic setting of Carrickfergus Castle!!

My colleagues are doing all the road events in Northern Ireland - other duties and my recovery ability mean that I will just be focussing on the TT, but nonetheless I'm certain it will be a great time and one to tell the grandkids about in my dotage!

No comments:

Post a Comment