Tuesday 30 April 2013

Ashley Ricci – from Rowing to Rugby!


My name is Ashley Ricci and I work for the New York Police Department, based at the 28th Precinct in Harlem.

Before I joined the Police, I was a rower – I rowed in the Division 1 team when I was at College and when I graduated I was selected to train with the US Development Team in Connecticut. This was full-time training and I competed several times in America as a lightweight rower and I even travelled to Galway to compete in the Head of the Tribesman Regatta, which I won gold in both the Women's 8 and Women's Quad.

When I joined the Police, I was not able to continue rowing but I still wanted to be part of an organised and competitive sport. One of my colleagues played for the NYPD Rugby Team and suggested that I should give rugby a go. Unfortunately, the Police Team here didn’t have a women’s side, so I did a bit of investigating to see what teams were in the area. I discovered the Village Lions Rugby Club who soon became my second family! My passion for this new sport grew overnight and I spent many hours at the Club learning all the essential skills from some amazing people.

When I learned that Women's Rugby was being offered at the Games in Belfast for this first time, I jumped at the chance to compete internationally and be part of this fast-growing sport for women. I am travelling over with the Men’s NYPD Rugby Team and have entered as a pool player for the tournament.

My training is well underway with the Village Lions and I’m looking forward to being part of the first Women’s Rugby event at the Games! See you there!

Click here for more information about Rugby at the 2013 WPFG, or if you’d like to register for any of the sports events please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment