Tuesday 23 April 2013

100 days to go until the opening ceremony

Today there are 100 days to go until the opening ceremony of the 2013 World Police & Fire Games at the King's Hall in Belfast! Over the next hundred days, we'll be profiling lots of fantastic competitors from around the world who will be coming to Belfast for the Games. We'll also be sharing stories from our Volunteers and the 2013 Team. 
Below is the first contribution from Jim Currell of the Victoria Police. If you would like to contribute to the blog, please contact Karen in the 2013 WPFG team.

My name is Jim Currell and I am a sergeant with Victoria Police in Melbourne, Australia. I am originally from Northern Ireland - I was born in Bangor and left with my family for Australia at the age of 14 months. This will be my first time returning to Northern Ireland since I emigrated and I am very excited about my trip home after over fifty years!

I have competed in the World Police and Fire Games before – I took part in the 4 x 400 metre event in my home town of Melbourne in 1995. This year, I am taking part in the Track and Field 200 & 400 metre events. I have competed in several Australia and New Zealand Police Games where I won gold and set an ANZPG record for the 400 metres which was surpassed a few years later. I am passionate about sport and am a qualified Track & Field coach where I have been involved with the National Junior Development Program (up to under 20 level).

Not only am I looking forward to my visit home and competing in the Games, but I am also thrilled to celebrating my 30th wedding anniversary with my wife on 6 August (right in the middle of the Track and Field events!). Hopefully I can bring some Aussie sunshine with me to share with everyone! 

Click here for more information about Track and Field events.

No comments:

Post a Comment